Frequently Asked Questions

General FAQ

Is the MIT program mandatory?

No. As a Member-In-Training, you can have your work experience reviewed by the Internship Committee at 6 months, 2 years and 3 years. You will receive feedback at this time and notified if your experience is acceptable. If you’re not an MIT, no feedback is given until you apply for a P.Eng. or P.Geo. If your work experience is not considered acceptable at this time, this may delay your P.Eng./P.Geo. application.

How many years can you be enrolled in the MIT program?

0-5 years unless an extension is approved by Council.

What titles are used for individuals in the MIT program?

Engineer-In-Training (EIT) or Geoscientist-In-Training (GIT). You must be registered in the New Brunswick program to use the title. You may also use the title, Member-In-Training (MIT).

What is the shortest possible amount of time in which the MIT program can be completed?

36 months following graduation, if the MIT has provided 12 months of acceptable pre-graduation experience.

Can MSc and PhD degrees count toward the work experience requirement?

Yes. Up to 12 months credit may be granted for an advanced degree in a related field.

Is there a mentorship program offered to MITs?

Yes, but it is not mandatory. The mentor program is designed as an auditing and guidance program for Members-in-Training who are engaged in engineering or geoscience work, but who are not working uner the supervision of a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist.

What is the role of the mentor in the MIT program?

The mentor’s role is to check that the MIT is receiving the necessary training and engineering experience to meet the requirements for registration. Mentors are important in the cases where the direct supervisor is not a P.Eng. or P.Geo. Off-site mentors can attest to the MIT’s work experience.

Is the MIT responsible for finding their mentor?


How do I update my contact information?

You can update your information online here or email it to .

Back to top

Applying to the Program

Do you have to apply directly to APEGNB to become an MIT?


Do you have to meet the academic requirements for licensure before you can become an MIT?


What are the application fee and annual dues for MITs?

The application fee is $100 + HST

Annual dues are $71.50 + HST. Dues are waived for the year of enrollment.

If your degree is not from an accredited Canadian university, there is an additional assessment fee of $143 + HST.

For an up-to-date and complete listing of all application fees, membership dues, exam fees, and textbook costs please refer to the Fees Listing on the last page of the Individual Application Form.

How many years can elapse between the completion of your engineering degree and the application to become an MIT?

There is no maximum.

Do you need to provide references to become an MIT?


Do you have to live in the province or territory to apply as an MIT there?

No, but it is preferred.

Do you have to make any ‘good character’ declarations to become an MIT?

Yes. The application includes questions about previous MIT applications and disciplinary matters.

Is there a language competency requirement to become an MIT?

Yes. You must demonstrate competency in English or French.

How can I submit my application?

Applications can be submitted by mail, fax, email or in person:

Engineers & Geoscientists New Brunswick
183 Hanwell Road
Fredericton, New Brunswick, CANADA
E3B 2R2

Tel: 506-458-8083
Toll Free: 1-888-458-8083
Fax: 506-451-9629

How can I pay the application fee?

APEGNB accepts credit card (through our website), cheque, cash and online banking.

Back to top 

Regulations and Responsibilities

Can an MIT use the word “Engineer” or “Geoscientist” in a job title given by an employer?

No. For more information on what constitutes an acceptable job title, read “Establishing a Job Title”.

Are professional development hours required for MITs?


Does APEGNB provide a certificate to MITs?


Does APEGNB provide a membership card to MITs?


Does APEGNB provide a stamp/seal to MITs?


Do MITs have the right to vote in Council elections?


Can MITs be elected to serve on Council?

Yes, but they cannot run for the office of vice-president or president.

Do MITs have obligations towards the Code of Ethics?


Back to top

Work Experience

Do MITs need to be supervised by a P.Eng. or P.Geo.?


Is supervision by a P.Eng. or P.Geo. formally verified when joining the MIT program?

No. This is voluntary.

What is the work experience reporting frequency for MITs?

An MIT submits their logbook at 6 months, 2 years and 3 years. If there is no P.Eng./P.Geo. supervisor on site, the mentor and MIT are asked to submit their reports every 3 months.

How do MITs record their experience?

They keep a logbook and file progress report forms.

What is the minimum amount of engineering or geoscience work experience required in a Canadian environment?

12 months.

What is defined as a “Canadian environment”?

North American experience or work for a Canadian company overseas that uses Canadian codes and standards.

Who reviews the work experience of MITs?

Members of APEGNB’s Board of Admissions or the Internship Committee who are P.Eng. and P.Geo. volunteers. They are seasoned practitioners and academics.

Will work experience acquired and validated by another provincial regulator (association/ordre) be accepted and acknowledged?

Yes, with some review, but this is not automatic.

Back to top 

Professional Practice Exam

If the professional practice examination was passed in another jurisdiction, is this acceptable/acknowledged?


When can the professional practice exam be written?

Anytime, however, MITs are encouraged to have at least 2 years of work experience.

Where can the professional practice exam be written?

The professional practice examination is a computer based exam, and it can be written in many approved testing facilities or via remote proctoring.

What seminars or training materials are offered for the professional practice exam?

Texts are available for sale at the APEGNB office on Hanwell Road in Fredericton. A list of resources is available with the PPE application form.

Back to top 

Becoming a Licensed Engineer/Geoscientist

Is there a language competency requirement to complete the MIT program and become a licensed engineer or geoscientist?

Yes. Applicants must be competent in English or French

How many references are required to become a licensed engineer or geoscientist?

A minimum of 3 references from P.Eng’s or P.Geo.’s are required. All 48 months must be covered by these references. (i.e., If that time period involves 5 references, you will need to provide APEGNB with 5 references. Three references are the minimum number required.)

Are there any other special requirements to become licensed?

Yes. You must be the legal age of majority. (19)

I am a MIT, but I haven’t submitted any logbooks. Can I still become registered?

Yes. If you haven’t submitted your logbooks as an MIT, you may write a 5-6 page (minimum) detailed report of your experience. This document should focus on your role in the projects you have worked on. This is to be submitted with your P.Eng./P.Geo. application.

I am not an MIT, but I have 48 months of experience. Can I apply to be registered as a P.Eng. or P.Geo.?

Yes. If you have not followed, or been enrolled in, the MIT program, you will be required to write a very detailed 5-6 page report of your experience and submit it with your P.Eng./P.Geo. application. This document should focus on your role in the projects you have worked on.

Back to top


APEGNB provides documentation to define the practice of engineering and geoscience in New Brunswick. It is strongly advised that all MITs obtain a copy of these documents.

Get your complete guide here »