Home > Register > Apply > Internationally Educated Applicants

Internationally Educated Applicants

Internationally Educated Applicants

If you were educated outside of Canada, you’re probably dealing with many challenges. You likely have questions about how or even why engineers and geoscientists are licensed. Perhaps you need to know how APEGNB can help you get back to work.

You may have other questions, too, about:

  • immigrant serving organizations, and how they can help you adjust to life in Canada
  • government services

This section of the APEGNB website will help you find answers to those questions and many more.

In Canada, engineering and geoscience are regulated professions. This means that by law:

  • no one can practice the professions of engineering and geoscience without a license, and
  • no one can call themselves an engineer or geoscientist without a license.

In addition, the professions of engineering and geoscience in Canada are regulated provincially.

This means that the license to practice engineering and geoscience in a specific province or territory must be obtained from the provincial engineering and/or geoscience association for that province or territory.

Generally, there is a provincial engineering and/or geoscience association in each province and territory in Canada. These associations serve and protect the public on behalf of their provincial or territorial government.

If you plan to practice engineering or geoscience in New Brunswick, you must be licensed by APEGNB. If you plan to practice engineering or geoscience in a different province or territory in Canada, you should contact the engineering/geoscience association in that province or territory to determine the specific requirements and process for licensure in that province or territory.

In New Brunswick, it is the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of New Brunswick (APEGNB) that has been given the authority and responsibility to regulate the practice of engineering and geoscience within the province.

  • APEGNB is the only body in New Brunswick or Canada that has the authority to issue licenses to practice engineering and geoscience in New Brunswick.
  • In order to obtain a license to practice, you will need to apply to APEGNB and have APEGNB evaluate your qualifications.

Licensure Requirements

(Watch this video)

To be licensed by Engineers and Geoscientists New Brunswick, you must have legal status in Canada and:

  1. Meet APEGNB’s academic requirements.
  2. Meet APEGNB’s experience requirements including at least one year of equivalent Canadian engineering or geoscience experience.
  3. Be of good character and reputation.
  4. Demonstrate knowledge of law, ethics, and professionalism by passing the National Professional Practice Examination.
  5. Satisfy the English or French Language Competency requirement.

Starting the Application Process

To start the application process in New Brunswick, you must provide

  • completed application form.
  • official transcripts from your university or universities.
  • descriptions of individual courses taken if necessary.
  • a certified translation if necessary.
  • payment of the assessment fee only ($164.45 CDN).
  • proof of Canadian citizenship or residency or appropriate visa.

Your education will then be compared to a Canadian Bachelor of Engineering degree. (In the case of geoscience applicants, your education will be compared to Geoscientists Canada's Geoscience Knowledge & Expereince Requirements.)

At this stage, some technical or confirmatory exams may be assigned.

All applicants must write the Professional Practice Exam.

Next, your work experience will be reviewed. At least

  • 48 months of acceptable work experience must be attested to by a supervisor, P.Eng., P.Geo., or equivalent.
  • 12 months of this experience must have been acquired in Canadian conditions.

NOTE: If you are discovered to be academically qualified, but missing the 12 months of Canadian work experience, or have not yet written and passed the Professional Practice Exam, you may be enrolled with APEGNB as a Member-in-Training (MIT) and gain the necessary Canadian work experience.

All of these requirements are the same for first-time applicants in Canada.

Additional Resources: