The objectives of Engineers & Geoscientists New Brunswick are to:
- Regulate the practice of engineering and geoscience and to govern these professions in accordance with the Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act, By-Laws and Council Rules;
- Establish and maintain standards of knowledge and skill among its members;
- Establish and maintain standards of professional ethics among its members
in order that the public interest may be served and protected.
In order to administer the legislation, APEGNB has a structure in place for the:
- review and guidance of educational requirements,
- development and maintenance of professional standards before and after registration,
- adherence to ethics
- enforcement and discipline of members in contravention of the Act & Bylaws
With regard to the general membership services, APEGNB is involved in those things which can reasonably be expected to apply to a significant number of members, or which can benefit the organization as a whole.
- communications (public relations, advertising, web-based marketing, event marketing, etc.)
- liaison with other professions
- life and liability insurance programs
- awards and scholarships
- items of concern to special interest groups such as consulting practices and employee engineers and geoscientists.
For the proper functioning of any democratic administrative structure, the legislation also details things such as:
- election procedures
- council meetings
- general meetings
- committee and branch activities
- planning and finance procedures